After their marriage in 1825 Richard and Mary McArthur settled in the Cullenswood area, which encompassed modern day Rathmines. A year later their first child was born, a son, who they named Richard Lyons.
Richard was still involved in the book trade when Richard Jr. was born, but a year later he mysteriously left the Dublin book trade. His quick exit was noted:
“Hodges teamed up with one McArthur until 1827, when McArthur vanishes and the firm becomes Hodges and Smith.”
He returned home to Ardglass, Co. Down where his second child Emily, Emily’s mother was born. Nearby Belfast had a burgeoning book trade at that time too so it is possible that the family hoped to settle there. It is unclear how long they stayed in Co. Down. The next reference to Richard McArthur is on April 1st 1829, which sadly was his death announcement in the newspapers.
It was apparent that he had some health problems and that he had returned to Dublin hoping for a cure, but that was not to be.
Richard McArthur was originally buried in St. Peter’s Graveyard of St. Peter’s Church, Aungier Street, Dublin, the same church he was married in only a few years before. In early Eighties the church was demolished. He along with others were re-interred in St. Werburg’s Churchyard near making the city centre church his final resting place.
Denise, Church warden at St Werburg’s
Larry O’Neill for his photos of St. Werburg’s
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/archive/1961/1219/Pg008.html#Ar00809. The Irish Times – Tuesday, December 19, 1961 – Page 8
Drogheda Journal, or Meath & Louth Advertiser on 01 April 1829