John Burke was a great support to Catholic community in Kinvarra. In 1822 there is a record of a J Burke making a donation of two tones of slates for the the roof of St. Coleman’s Church. He was a witness to a lease agreement between the local landowners and the church two years earlier. At the same time his son William John was attending St. Jarlath’s College, Tuam, which educated boys to enter the seminary.
St. Colman’s Church; its place in the History of the Parish of Kinvara. JW O’Connell, Clodoiri Lurgan Teo,. Indreabhan, Co. na Gallimhe. p 34